This cemetery located at the heart of East London opened to the public in 1841. Originally called ‘The City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery’ is known locally as Bow Cemetery, since it belongs to this district.
Within its 26 acres (105,218 sq m) most interments took place in public graves, that is, those for people not able to afford a plot of land nor a monument.
Like others, the cemetery suffered some damage during World Wars’ bombing and nowadays there are no chapels.
Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park has been closed for burials since 1966. Nonetheless, it was declared a Local Nature Reserve in 2001 and the are currently involved in many projects with nearby schools, locals and volunteers. This charity founded in 1990 co-works with The East London Historical Society keeping the archives and recording the graves.
There are at least five monuments listed by the English Heritage.
In 1966 Greater London Council acquired the neglected Tower Hamlets Cemetery for £100,000, thus becoming a public park. The ownership eventually passed to the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in 1986.
Location: Southern Grove, London E3 4PX. It is just 5 minutes away from Mile End tube station (Central, Circle & District Lines) and some 10 minutes from Bow Road tube station (District and Hammersmith & City Line).
For more information, please visit the official website: www.fothcp.org.