Abney Park, situated in the London Borough of Hackney, is a historic parkland originally laid out in the early 18th century by Lady Mary Abney and Dr. Isaac Watts, an English hymnwriter, teologian and logician.
In 1840 it became a nondenominational garden cemetery, also a semi-public park arboretum, including a methodist training college; it was indeed a rather innovative place for its time. Abney Park chapel, designed in a ‘gothic revival’ style in 1838-1840 by William Hoskings FSA, first Professor of Architecture at King’s College London, was notable as the first nondenominational cemetery chapel in Europe.
Abney Park is one of the Magnificent Seven London cemeteries. Around 197,000 burials took place here as of the year 2000. It is also a Local Nature Reserve since 1993 that extends over 32 acres of land (129,000 m2).
Having been run by a commercial company for about a century, the cemetery became insolvent and the property passed to the Hackney Council in 1978. It is nowadays co-managed by the cultural charity the Friends of Abney Park Cemetery.
Location: Stoke Newington High Street, N16 London. There is no tube station nearby. However, the closest train station, Stoke Newington, is just 5 min away from the main gate. Take the train in Liverpool Street Station to Stoke Newington, it is a 13 min journey.
For more information, please visit the official website www.abney-park.org.uk.